Communication is an integral part of all nursing interactions. It is the way we give and receive information to guide patient care, decision making and respond to difficult situations. Challenging and crucial conversations happen when stakes are high, opinions vary and emotions are strong. When this occurs, we have an opportunity to engage compassionately with our patients and each other. Our responses in these challenging situations will effect outcomes, both positively and negatively. Developing a toolkit of ways to critically examine the facts, emotions, communication patterns and responses will enable nurses to respond compassionately to facilitate information exchange in effective ways and mitigate our own emotions in crucial conversations. This pre conference will provide an opportunity to learn and practice practical communication skills to support patients and families and as well as each other.
- Professional Development Session: Professional Development GPS: The Long and Winding Road from Route 1 to Route 101 (CDE)
- General Session: APHON Advocacy: Ask, Tell, Ask (104)
- The Future of Nursing 2020-2030: What We All Need to Know (224)
- Pediatric Anticoagulation: Who, What, When, Where, and Why (and a little How) (225)
- Nutritional Support: Best Practices for Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant Patients (226)